Part-time Work Permit/Status Change POSSIBLE for Working Visa Holder
Due to the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID19), the performance of many companies, especially in the travel industry, lodging industry, and restaurant industry, has deteriorated. Along with the deterioration of business performance, some companies are beginning to go bankrupt or closed, which is also affecting the employment of foreign employees working there.
In this way, special measures by the Immigration Bureau for foreigners who have been notified of dismissal or suspension of employment due to reasons such as bankruptcy of their employers or reduction of work due to reasons that are not for their own convenience, and which are in an economically difficult situation was announced.
If you are dismissed, on standby at home even if you’ve been offered a job etc. due to the coronavirus pandemic
→There is a possibility that you may be permitted to have a part-time job with current status of residence or to change your status of residence to “designated activities( job hunting)” visa for re-employment.
- Those who have been notified of dismissal or suspension of employment from their employer and wish to find employment
- Those who have been given a job offer but on standby at home and wish to return to work
- Those who have been ordered by the employer to shorten the number of working days and working hours and wish to continue workingt
If you meet any of the conditions on the above (i)-(iii), it is also possible for you to have a part-time job if you apply for ” 資格外活動許可(part-time work permit”
資格外活動許可（Shikakugai katsudo kyoka):
-a permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence] which is either up to 6 months or until your current status of residence expires.
Note: it is necessary to submit a document that proves that you are under the situation due to your company’s decision.
- If your current status of residence is expiring, but you still cannot find a new job by the period of stay, you may change your status of residence to ” designated activities (job hunting)” for 6 months if you wish to continue job hunting.
- If your job hasn’t been settled, an additional 6 months of renewal may be allowed. In this case, you need to submit a declaration from your company indicates your dismissal or suspension is due to the employer’s decision.
- Also, it is permitted to apply for a work permission ” 資格外活動許可(Shikakugai katsudo kyoka) “ to earn living expenses during job hunting or waiting at home.
The period of ” 資格外活動許可 (Shikakugai katsudo kyoka)” is up to 6 months after permitted or till the period of stay.
- When a person who is in the waiting period or during the shortened work period applies for 資格外活動許可(Shikakugai katsudo kyoka), one will need a permission from one’s current company for the application to the Immigration Bureau.
- Those who have changed the status of residence to ” designated activities (job hunting)” for the reason of job hunting or waiting at home will have to renew the status of residence immediately in order to go back to work or work in a new company once you find a new job.