How to Dress Appropriately
5 Principles of Grooming
*You should not only be hygienically clean but also look clean.
*Better not to wear colorful/attention-grabbing clothes.
- Appropriate for work（調和/ちょうわ）
- Comfortable, Efficient（機能性/きのうせい）
*Preferable to wear clothes in which you feel easy to move.
Hair (Men & Women)
- Neat & Simple hairstyle
- Fix your messy bed head
- Remove/Wash away dandruff and dirt
- Natural color
Cleanliness (Men & Women)
- Brush your teeth
- Cut your fingernails
- Do not wear perfume with strong smell
What to Wear (Men & Women)
- Basically wear suit
*Sometimes they might tell you to come in business casual attire, however, you should not choose jeans, tight or short skirts, T-shirts, and sweatshirts. A shirt with a collar is acceptable.
- Don’t wear wrinkled clothing/clothing without buttons
- Don’t wear stained clothing
- No dirt on a collar and sleeves
- Iron a crease in your pants
- Clean and polish your shoes
4 Points to Remember for MEN
- Shave your beard
- Tie a necktie neatly
*Loose and crooked tie is inappropriate for business situations
- Color of socks
*Your socks should match your trousers. It would be safe if you have black or navy socks.
- Take off pierced earrings and rings
4 Points to Remember for WOMEN
- Tie your hair if it is longer than collar length
*Don’t choose colorful hair band or hair clip to tie.
- Wear natural looking makeup
*Don’t put on mascara too much, and apply eyeliner naturally.
*Put on light lipstick so that you look healthy.
- Don’t put on stockings with runs and holes
- Take off unnecessary accessories
This is how to dress appropriately in a business situation. All of them are very basic manner, but the basics matter the most. Check those basic dressing manner before going to work or a job interview.