Foreign nationals having difficulty returning to their country can work up to 28 hours a week
On December 1st, Immigration Services Agency announced that they decided to permit foreign nationals who are unable to return to their home country due to the COVID-19 pandemic and wish to work (part-time) to maintain their livelihood in Japan to work up to 28 hours a week.
- 1: For foreign nationals staying with the status of residence of “Temporary Visitor”
- 2: For foreign nationals staying with the status of residence of “Technical Intern Training” or “Designated Activities (Foreign Construction Worker (No.32) or Foreign Shipbuilding Worker (No.35))”
- 3: For foreign nationals staying with the status of residence of “Student” and wish to work
- 4: For foreign nationals staying with the other statuses of residence (including the foreign nationals in the above 2 or 3 who do not wish to work)
For those who fall in 1 or 4
If you are in need, you need to apply for permission to engage in activities other than those permitted under the status of residence previously granted at the regional immigration services office. But first, please check if you fall under any of the following requirements.
- Those who are unable to work with the current status of residence
- Those who have difficulty in returning to their home country
- Those who have difficulty maintaining their livelihood until they return to their home country because they cannot expect support from their family in Japan or organization to which they belong.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
- APPLICATION FOR PERMISSION TO ENGAGE IN ACTIVITIES OTHER THAN THOSE PERMITTED UNDER THE STATUS OF RESIDENCE PREVIOUSLY GRANTED
- A document confirming that there is a reasonable reason for the difficulty to return to home country (There is no need for submission if the reason is included in the latest application for permission to change the status of residence, etc.)
- Statement of reasons*
For those who fall in 2
Permitted to change their status of residence to “Designated Activities”(6 months, Work permitted)
See more details
For those fall in 3
Permitted to change their status of residence to “Designated Activities (permitted to work part-time for 6 months, within 28 hours a week”
*As of October 19, this measure applies to all those who have the residence status of “Student,” regardless of when or if they graduated.
*This measure also applies to ex-students staying with the status of “Temporary Visitor” or “Designated Activities (due to difficulty in returning to their home country, ‘no work permitted’ condition or preparing to leave Japan”
（英語・English）Handling of foreign nationals who have difficulty returning to their home country or other country[PDF](2020.12.1)
（中国語簡体字・中文简体）关于 难 以返回本国 等 的外国人的措施[PDF](2020.12.1)
（中国語繁体字・中文繁体）針對難 以返回母國等地的 外 國 人 之相關處理[PDF](2020.12.1)
（韓国語・한국어）본국 등으로 귀국하기 어려운 외국인에 관한 조처[PDF](2020.12.1)
（インドネシア語）Perlakuan terhadap WNA yang Mengalami Kesulitan untuk Kembali ke Negara Asal[PDF](2020.12.1)
（ベトナム語）Cách xử lý liên quan đến người nước ngoài gặp khó khăn trong việc trở về nước[PDF](2020.12.1)
（タガログ語）Pag asikaso sa mga dayuhang nasyonal na nahihirapang bumalik sa kanilang sariling bansa o ibang bansa[PDF](2020.12.1)
（ポルトガル語）Serviço aos estrangeiros com dificuldade em retornar ao seu país de origem[PDF](2020.12.1)
(スペイン語）Tratamiento de los ciudadanos extranjeros con problemas para regresar a su país o lugar de residencia[PDF](2020.12.1)
（モンゴル語）Эх орондоо буцаж чадахгүй байгаа гадаадын иргэдэд хэрэгжүүлэх арга хэмжээ[PDF](2020.12.1)
１ 新型コロナウイルス感染症に関する外国人の在留諸申請について(2) 帰国困難者に対する在留諸申請及び在留資格認定証明書交付申請の取扱い