Appropriate Behaviors at Work
Today, we will learn more detailed business manner.
Importance of Communication
ほうれんそう is a Japanese word corresponding to spinach. The spinach itself does not matter, which just make it easier to remember.
- 報告（ほうこく）＝Report to your Boss and People Involved
CONCLUSION FIRST and BAD NEWS FIRST
What they want to know the most is the conclusion (outcome or result), so you will always be required to firstly report your present outcome and secondly the process leading to it.
And you should report bad news first. It might be uncomfortable when you have failed to do something and need to tell your boss about it. But it can go beyond the point of no return while you are hesitating. So please keep in mind, “CONCLUSION FIRST and BAD NEWS FIRST”.
- 連絡（れんらく）＝Communicate Information to People Involved
It is important that you convey needed information to those involved, without any fail.
You should tell them what they need to know when they need.
- 相談（そうだん）＝Ask Someone for Help or Advice
There would be some cases where you cannot make a decision by yourself or you do not know what to do. In such a case, you can ask your boss or colleague for advice. However, you need to make it clear what you will ask them well in advance, not just before the deadline. They are also busy as you are, so do not forget that they are taking time for you.
When Receiving a Verbal Instruction
The most basic manner is taking a note while listening to your boss.
Remember to keep a note pad or appointment book with you so that you can write down at any time.
And there are 5 points you should make clear: 5W1H (WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY, HOW). Moreover, repeating what they said is also helpful, especially about money, time and place. Do not be shy and understand precisely.
Here are basic behaviors at work.
- Arrive 5 minutes before you meet someone
For example, you need to have arrived the meeting room at 6:55 if the meeting will start from 7:00.
- Report bad news as soon as possible
It can go beyond the point of no return while you are hesitating.
- Follow the instruction of your direct superior
Sometimes you may be confused about what you should do when the instruction of your direct boss and that of big boss are in conflict with each other. In this case, all you have to do is to ask your direct boss saying, “Big boss said xxx, what should we do?”, then do as what your direct boss tells you.
Improve your posture when standing
- Keep your shoulders back and stand up straight and tall.
- Have your shoulders at the same height.
- Let your arms hang down naturally at your sides or front side. Do not fold your arms on your chest.
- Keep your eyes straight ahead.
- Tuck your chin in.
Improve your posture when sitting
- Keep your shoulders back and sit up straight.
- Do not lie down on a sofa.
- Put your hands on your lap and take your elbows off the desk
- Men: Keep knees in check with a bit of a gap./ Women: Sit with your knees together.
- Do not keep your legs wide open.
When Passing/Receiving Documents
Point 1: Pass/Receive documents with both hands.
*Passing and Receiving something with one hand is a very impolite manner.
Point 2: Have the writing facing the recipient so that they can read it.
*In Japan, people do not slide their business cards across the table.
Point 3: You should pass/receive something in standing position when a recipient is standing, and in sitting position when he/she is sitting.
Point 4: Say “どうぞ(do-zo)” or “よろしくおねがいします(yorosiku onegai simasu)” when you pass it.
These are the most basic Japanese business manners. You will be much more successful with good manner!!